Eggplant Fry aka Vankaya Vepudu is a simple stir fry made of eggplant. I like to make it spicy as I love to eat it with Rice and Dal/Yogurt. But you can adjust the spice according to your taste. It is very easy to make and requires very few ingredients.
Check out my other Eggplant recipes you might enjoy 🙂
Some people like to add Tomatoes to get tangy taste to the Eggplant fry, you can also add Amchur powder(Dry mango powder) or Anardana powder(Pomegranate seeds powder) for tanginess. I sometimes add tomatoes , if not amchur powder. Either way it tastes really good.
Make the Eggplant fry in a non stick wide saute pan with lid, so that it is easy to clean and the curry doesn’t stick to the bottom of the pan. You can also use Cast iron Kadai/pan if you wish.
Tip :If using tomatoes, then add them after eggplant is completely fried and fry till the tomatoes are completely cooked and stir fry becomes dry. You can leave in some moisture from tomatoes if desired 🙂
- Eggplants - 3 long and thin - approx 4 cups diced
- Onion - half of a big onion - chopped
- Green chili - 1 thinly sliced/chopped - or to taste
- Oil - 2 tbsps
- Ginger garlic paste - 1tbsp
- Mustard seeds - 1tsp
- Cumin seeds - 1tsp
- Amchur - dry mango powder - 2 tsps ( substitute - 2 tomatoes finely chopped)
- Salt - to taste
- Turmeric - 1 tsp
- Red chili powder - to taste
- Coriander powder - 2 tsps
- Put a wide pan on medium heat, add oil and let it get hot.
- Add mustard seeds and cumin seeds , fry well.
- Add onions,green chili and saute well till onions turn into golden color.
- Now add ginger garlic paste and fry till raw smell goes away
- Add turmeric and fry for a minute.
- Add eggplant pieces and salt, mix well. cover with a lid and cook till eggplant pieces are tender.
- Mix occasionally to prevent burning at the bottom.
- Once the eggplant is well cooked and turns golden brown, add red chili powder, coriander powder and amchur powder. Toss the eggplant pieces very well.
- Fry for 2 mins and turn off the heat.
Enjoy my recipes ? Please share on social media with friends and in food groups.
Join my facebook group here – SubbuCooks Facebook Group
Subscribe to my YouTube Channel for all the recipe videos.
Thank you for visiting 🙂