Instant pot Eggplant Rice
Instant pot Eggplant Rice is a quick one pot meal which can be made in a jiffy with very little preparations. The key ingredients being Eggplant, Tomato and Rice. You can do this in a stove top pressure cooker or in an instant pot. Either way it is deliciouso ..!!
Instant pot Eggplant Rice is a easy and great choice for a hurry weekend lunch or dinner. Make it spicy or less spicy to your taste buds but I love it spicy 🙂
Use any eggplants of choice, make sure they are not bitter or tough. Use Tomatoes on the vine for the best taste, if not just make sure that the tomatoes are ripen and juicy.
Instant pot Eggplant Rice is one of my favorite to make as it is easy, tasty and also my husband’s favorite. If you do not like eggplant, you will definitely like this recipe as you will not notice the flavor of the eggplant that much, it is very subtle as we also used tomato. Eggplant Tomato Rice is also a great way to incorporate the veggies like eggplant and tomato, of course add in extra veggies like peas if you desire but I like to keep it simple and stick to eggplant and tomatoes.
For this rice, usually it is made on the mushy side and not grainy side. Its one’s preference but I like to do on the mushy side. Use any rice of choice Sona masoori, Basmati or Jasmine rice etc.
Check out my list of must have instant pot accessories
Check out my other Eggplant recipes you might enjoy 🙂
Affiliate links help to support my website and the free recipe content I provide. A small percentage of any purchase you make through the links will go towards buying ingredients, photography supplies and server space, as well as all the other expenses involved in running a cooking website. Thank you for supporting me !
For Stove top :
Follow the same instructions below but use a pressure cooker and cook for 2 whistles and remove from heat. ( or adjust the number of whistles depending upon how many whistles you usually count for rice ).
For Instant Pot:
Instant pot Eggplant Rice
EGGPLANT TOMATO RICE
- Ghee - 2 to 3 tbsps
- Cashews - 2 tbsps
- Curry leaves - 1 sprig
- Onion - 1/4th - sliced
- Green chili - 2 or to taste
- Ginger Garlic paste - 1 tbsp
- Tomatoes - 2
- Eggplant - 1 big - thin and long or fat and short
- Rice - 2 cups - 160ml cup used
- Water - 4 cups - 160ml cup used
- Cumin seeds - 2 tsps
- Coriander powder - 1.5 tbsp
- Garam masala - 2tsps
- Salt - to taste
- Red chili powder to taste
- Put the instant pot on saute mode high and add ghee.
- Once the ghee is hot add cumin seeds, curry leaves and cashews , fry well till cashews turn golden
- Add onion and green chili and saute well for 2 to 3 mins
- Add ginger garlic paste and fry til raw smell goes away(approx. 2 mins)
- Now add eggplant pieces and fry for 3 mins
- Add tomatoes and fry till mushy.
- Add coriander powder,garam masala, salt and mix well. Fry for 2 mins
- Add rice and water , mix well.
- Turn off saute mode
- Put the lid , vent to sealing position.
- Push the rice button and natural pressure release(NPR). ( also can use manual 4 min high and NPR)
- Garnish with Cilantro if desired.
Enjoy my recipes ? Please share on social media with friends and in food groups.
Join my facebook group here – SubbuCooks Facebook Group
Subscribe to my YouTube Channel for all the recipe videos.
Thank you for visiting 🙂