Aloor dom | Bengali style dum aloo recipe | Bengali Dum aloo
This Bengali Dum aloo is known as Aloor dom or Aloor dum, It is so delicious and full of flavors. I first tasted in a temple on Bengali New year and was mind blown it was finger licking good. So I tried to ask the lady who made the food and she gave me a outline of the ingredients. So I tried it at home and it came out so good, as good as the temple version.
You can make this Bengali Dum aloo either with lots of gravy or dry curry, I liked both ways but depending on your taste you can make it either way. I used baby potatoes in the recipe but the lady in the temple use big chunks of potato. This Aloor dom is a perfect recipe for special occasions and it is different from regular dum aloo. I am sure guests will love it.
If you have any suggestions to improve Bengali Dum aloo? Comment below and let me know. Want regular dum aloo recipe? Try this one.!!
You can make this in Pressure cooker, stove top or in Instant pot and I have included instructions for all the methods.You can choose whatever option is convenient for you, I like to make it in Pressure cooker/Instant pot as its lot quicker.
SERVE ALOOR DUM with
I hope you try out this amazing Bengali Dum aloo recipe and do comment below and let me know how you like this recipe.
★ Now that you have this amazing recipe, Is it worth a try? Please give us a ★ rating .. Just click on the stars in the Summary box below to rate 🙂 !
Aloor dom | Bengali style Masala dum aloo recipe | Bengali Dum aloo
- Pressure cooker or Instant pot
- 1 big Onion - Finely chopped
- 3 tbsps Oil - (mustard oil if desired)
- 1 tsp Cumin seeds
- 2 tbsps Ginger Garlic paste
- 4 Tomatoes - Grind into purée
- 2 lbs Baby Potatoes or Potatoes cut into chunks
- 2 tbsps Coriander powder
- 1/4 tsp Garam masala
- Red chili powder - per taste
- Salt - to taste
- 1 cup Water - OR as needed for gravy.
- Cilantro - to garnish
- 3 Cardamom
- 4 Cloves
- 2 Cinnamon sticks
- 1 Bay leaf
- Roast all the ingredients under 'Whole spices' until fragrant, cool them down and make into fine powder.
- Take a pressure cooker, add oil and let it become hot. Next add cumin seeds and let them crackle
- Next add onions fry till they are nice and golden. Add ginger garlic paste and fry till raw smell goes away.
- Add in the tomato purée and fry for 3-4 mins till raw smell goes away.
- Now add the ground spice mix, red chili powder, garam masala and coriander powder.
- Mix well and add salt to taste. Add in the potatoes and water, give a good stir.
- Pressure cook for 2-3 whistles. Garnish with Cilantro and serve hot with puris, rice or chapati.
- Follow all the steps above mentioned in Saute mode high and do manual high 8-10 mins
- Timing have to be adjusted depending upon the size of the potatoes
- You can do Natural release or Quick release after 5 mins in warm mode.
Stove top pan
- Follow all the instructions above but use boiled potatoes into the gravy.
- After a boiled potatoes, simmer for 5-8 mins so that potatoes absorb the flavors.
- Water quantity can be adjusted as per taste. For gravy style add more water and mash in couple of potatoes at the end to get thick gravy.
- Adjust the red chili powder to taste. You can also use green chili paste.