Telugu New Year Ugadhi || How to make Ugadhi Pachadi
Ugadhi is the Telugu New Year , is derived from the Sanskrit words yuga (age) and ādi (beginning). Ugadhi usually comes in the months of March or April. It is widely celebrated by south Indian people from Maharastra(celebrated as gudi padwa), Andhra Pradesh, Telangana, Karnataka. Ugadhi is the new year based on lunar calendar.
Like any other festival, Ugadhi is celebrated by making lot of desserts, traditional foods and with prayers to the almighty.! Everyone wears new clothes and go to the temple for the blessings of god.
The special dish that is made on Ugadhi is Ugadhi pachadi, which is a dish we make having 6 different taste in it, each taste representing a different emotion, symbolically telling that our life is combination of all emotions.
The main six tastes are :
* Salt – saltiness representing fear
* Jaggery – sweet represents happiness
* Neem flower – bitterness represents sad
* Tamarind – sourness represents unpleasantness.
* Raw Mango – tangy taste represents the unexpected/surprises
* Chili powder – hotness represents anger
We also add banana to increase sweetness I have seen in some households they also add coconut pieces. Some substitute red chili powder with green chilies or black peppercorns.
A fun thing we do in the morning of Ugadhi is that we taste the Ugadhi Pachadi and try to remember the first taste that we get from eating it and our year is going to be more of that taste (example : if we get sweet taste first then it is going to be a happy year)
❤ If you try it then please don’t forget to give a rating for the recipe below in the summary box, it means a lot.!
- 1/2 cup Raw mango, peeled and chopped
- 2 tbsps Jaggery - or Sugar
- Salt - to taste
- 1.5 tbsps Neem flowers
- Red chili powder - as needed
- 1 small lime sized Tamarind ball - (soak and get the extract)
- 1 cup Water - or as needed
- 1/4 cup Banana - (optional)
- Dissolve jaggery into the water and all the ingredients. Mix well
- Consume with in a day.!
Enjoy my recipes ? Join my facebook group here – SubbuCooks Facebook Group
Subscribe to my YouTube Channel for all the recipe videos.
Thank you for visiting 🙂