Green moong dal Pongal in Instant Pot
Green gram pongal is a rice dish where the main ingredients are green gram (moong beans) and Rice. In this post I made the pongal using split green gram for easy cooking.
Traditionally Pongal is called as Ven pongal and is made with yellow moong dal aka pesara pappu. But I wanted to do a different dal than yellow moong dal so I made with split green gram(moong chilka).
Green gram Pongal is a perfect balance between carbs,proteins and fats making it a perfect wholesome meal. Green gram pongal is usually on the mushier side which is because to digest the pongal easily.
Traditional Ven pongal calls for black peppercorns and ginger in the tempering/tadka but today in this post I skipped them.
You can make Green gram Pongal on stove top pressure cooker or in an Instant pot. For both of them the method remains the same. I highly recommend doing the tempering in ghee and adding at the end for the fresh aroma of the Hing/Asafoetida.
Serve Green gram Pongal with Sambar or Chutney of choice.
Check out my list of must have instant pot accessories
For Stove top :
Follow the same instructions below but use a pressure cooker and cook for 3 to 4 whistles and remove from heat.
For Instant Pot:
Green gram Pongal
- 3/4th cup Green gram (moong chilka) - washed
- 1+1/4th cup Rice - washed
- Salt - to taste
- 4 cups water
- 2 to 3 tbsps Ghee
- 1.5 tsp Hing/Asafoetida
- 2 tsps mustard seeds
- 2 Green chilies - slit
- 1 tbsp cumin seeds
- 1 Red chili - broken
- 1/4 cup Cashews
- 1 sprig Curry leaves
- 2 tsps Black peppercorns
- 1 inch ginger piece - chopped
- Pressure Cook Rice and Green gram together. Add in salt as well.
- For stove top cook for upto 3 to 4 whistles
- For Instant Pot cook on manual high(vent closed) 15 mins and natural release.
- Now do the tempering, heat ghee in the pan.
- When ghee is hot add all the ingredients under tempering and fry till cashews are golden and fragrant.
- Now mix the rice with the tempering. Serve hot with Sambar or Chutney of choice.
Enjoy my recipes ? Please share on social media with friends and in food groups.
Join my facebook group here – SubbuCooks Facebook Group
Subscribe to my YouTube Channel for all the recipe videos.
Thank you for visiting 🙂