Cabbage Muthias || Copycat recipe of Deep brand Muthias
Cabbage Muthias are delicious popular Gujarati Snack. These are Cabbage Chickpea flour dumplings steamed and pan fried. These can be eaten for break fast or as an appetizer/snack.
I actually never made these at home before but when I purchased these frozen at Indian store, I loved them so much that I had to try it. I brand I bought was Deep brand. So I tried at home using the ingredients on the package as a guideline and made a copycat recipe. I made 2 times and 2nd time was perfect, just as the store bought one, in fact even better.
You can make these in bulk and freeze them for later use. These are very healthy, you can easily hide veggies like cabbage in this recipe. Bottle gourd, carrots, spinach etc can be also added(or substituted) to this recipe to make it even more nutritious.
The best part is that Cabbage Muthias are Vegan, protein rich and uses very little oil. It is not a low carb recipe but the recipe is very fulfilling and tasty.
I hope you try it and give me your feedback.
❤ If you try it then please don’t forget to give a rating for the recipe below in the summary box, it means a lot.!
- 1/2 Cabbage, finely shredded - (approx 4 to 5 cups)
- 2 cups Chickpea flour or Besan
- 2 tbsp Whole wheat flour - (optional)
- 2 tsp Cumin seeds
- 2 tbsps Coriander leaves
- 2 tbsps Fenugreek leaves - (optional)
- 1 tsp Turmeric powder
- 1 tsp Ginger, grated
- Green chili,Finely chopped - to taste
- Salt - to taste
- 1 tsp Sugar
- 1 tbsp Lemon juice or citric acid crystals - see notes
- 2 tbsps Oil
- 1.5 tsps Mustard seeds
- 2 sprigs Curry leaves
- few pinches Hing/Asafoetida
- 4 pieces Whole Red chilies
- 2 tbsps White sesame seeds
- 2 tbsps Cilantro - to garnish
- In a large mixing bowl, take the shredded cabbage and sprinkle salt on it. Set aside for 5 to 10 mins so that it will leave water.
- Now add all the main ingredients in to the bowl and mix well with hands to form a dough, it will be sticky but don't worry.
- You will not need any water as the cabbage is wet and oozed out water. But if it is too dry please sprinkle some water.
- Now take portions of the sticky dough, make it into a shape of big russet potato by using both hands and place it on a greased steamer. You will get 3 to 4 of these.
- Now steam it for 10 to 15 mins till the dumplings are cooked inside out. Do a toothpick test to confirm.
- You can use instant pot steam mode (venting) or a regular stove top steamer basket.
- Now once the steaming is done, let them cool completely before taking them out.
- Cut the cooled big dumpling into small bite sized pieces using a sharp knife.
- Now lets make seasoning to the dumplings.
- Put a wok or pan on medium heat. Add oil
- Once oil is hot add mustard seeds, let them pop.
- Now add Red chilies,sesame seeds and curry leaves. Fry till the sesame seeds starts popping.
- Now add the cut dumplings/muthia into the pan. Toss well until all the pieces are well coated with seasoning.
- If you like a crispy texture, fry for 4 to 5 mins tossing in between.
- Garnish with cilantro and serve hot with Tea.!
- For gluten free option skip whole wheat flour.
- I happened to have citric acid on hand so I used it but if you don't have it then add lemon juice at the end while serving.
- Seasoning is optional but I highly recommend as it gives lot of flavor to the dish
- Adjust the spices like green chili and red chili to taste.
- You can also fry the muthias in Instant pot using saute mode.
Enjoy my recipes ? Please share on social media with friends and in food groups.
Join my facebook group here – SubbuCooks Facebook Group
Subscribe to my YouTube Channel for all the recipe videos.
Check out my list of must have instant pot accessories
Thank you for visiting 🙂